Thursday, August 5, 2010

Narcissistic Ad Campaigns

I'm sure you all have seen "The Most Interesting Man in the World" campaign from Dos Equis and "The Man Your Man Could Smell Like" campaign from Old Spice. 


These two campaigns have taken over the advertising world. Sometimes an ad can be so good that you often forget the product they are selling and only remember what happened in the ad. That certainly is not the case with these two campaigns that has boosted sales for each product according to an Ad Age article. The Old Spice campaign was done so well, that the former NFL player Isaiah Mustafa "the Old Spice guy" just landed himself a role in the upcoming movie Horrible Bosses, coming to theaters in 2011. The guy is great! He has an outstanding speaking voice at least from the ads I have seen. 


So I ask myself, what is going to be the next campaign that is as narcissistic as these two? Perhaps Apple does a campaign entitled "iTouch because I Touched it First." That is probably unlikely, but you get the picture. I may not know what the next ego driven campaign will be, but I cannot wait to find out!


Ryan Nguyen

1 comment:

  1. That is good for Mustafa, but no ad in recent memory (5 years), in my opinion, has been more influential than the Geico cavemen. Those ads spanned their own sitcom, regardless of how awful it might have been.

    Here is my question, Geico is notorious for their ads. Many aren't fans of them, but I tend to like them. Between the Geico gecko, cavemen, could switching to Geico..., and the money with eyes commercials, Geico has had so many memorable ads.

    Gecko, cavemen and "Could switching to Geico..." ads still liter the television, but they seem to have done away with the money commercials. Were they unsuccessful?

    Also, do you have an idea of how successful Geico has been with its advertising campaigns? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete